Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Studies in Expression


My wife has been trying to get me to do "pretty" paintings for decorating. I also promised a painting for the newly remodeled room where our Bible study group meets at church. In researching decorative art that my wife thought was nice, I came across a painting style at Springfield's First Friday Artwalk in November that reminded me of some I'd seen in art history classes.

The "Abstract Expressionist" style was what I would look at and Mark Rothko is the painter who I found most fascinating with his color studies and heavy shapes. It looks easy- like "my kindergartner could do that" kind of thing, so I decided to try to reproduce one of his works.

Once I got into it, I realized there is a lot going on and I found myself frustrated that I could not get the colors or shapes just right. First of all, I was using acrylic paints which is good for all the other stuff I do, but for the kind of soft blends and indistinct edges oils would have been better.

I was trying to reinterpret his painting using his shapes and basic color scheme, but shift the emphasis. There are many ways to do this in color theory and I ended up trying all I could think of. A sharp edge, white, hue, complementary colors, shape, etc. I was amazed at how much I had to mix colors and how much I had to care to make it work. You can't use just any green on just any orangey-red background. There were even reasons for certain outlines and highlights. Amazing. It was like having a Color Theory test all in one painting. Enlightening!

One reason I was drawn to his painter was his philosophy that Rothko saw art as a tool of emotional and religious expression. Since I was going to hang this in a church, I thought it fitting. Plus, it is not too distracting. Hopefully somebody finds it inspirational.
Thanks Mark Rothko for your inspiration to me!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I like it. And, it sure beats my sister in law's church (few blocks south of you guys on Jefferson and Sunshine), where their sunday school room is covered in hunting dog framed photos. I'm not 100% sure they aren't the photos that came in the frames, but I did spend a significant amount of time focusing on the dogs in their hunting gear rather than the teaching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I would love one for Christmas...jk But I would love to have you make one for us someday (I would pay too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I admit it... Your going to have to explain it to me. :)

    I need to be educated.

    ReplyDelete