Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas fonts

Every year, one of my Christmas traditions is to watch old TV specials. I now have several on DVD so I don't have to rely exclusively on TV programming. One of the things I love about the classics is that the ones who produced them were real artists. I recently took a closer look at the opening title sequences of some of my favorites and was amazed at the precision, beauty and artistry of the hand-lettered fonts. Below are samples from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Notice it aired in 1964... or did it? Anything else important happen that year for historical context? The Beatles were getting huge, I know that. Look closer at the Roman Numerals. "1164" Did anything cool happen that year? haha! I'll post more screen grabs from other favorites. I hope you enjoy this little nugget of nostalgia!





2 comments:

  1. I actually found a recreation of this font so now you can create the entire opening sequence easily! "Island of Misfit Toys!" Clever.

    http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=Island+of+Misfit+Toys

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete