Friday, April 19, 2019

The Lion and the Lamb

In 2018 I was commissioned to do a religious painting of the Lion and the Lamb. After studying a bit, I asked my patron if I could make it represent two sides of Jesus: the roaring Lion of Judah and the Lamb led to slaughter. I have made a personal decision never to try to do a portrait of Jesus as I feel the subject too sacred and I would make a royal mess of it. Representing Him in other ways appealed to me. There is a song by Big Daddy Weave titled "The Lion and the Lamb" which was a big inspiration for this piece as well. Below are some process photos. As I post this, it is Good Friday, so we are definitely remembering the Lamb who was slain. Sunday is all about the risen Lion of Judah! Indeed!

Prints are available in different sizes of photo paper or canvas. 
Order in comments below or on the CONTACT page of my website. 
All images copyright Mark A. Montgomery
Cleaned up photo file used for prints

Thumbnail sketch

Digital vector sketch to lay out color and shapes
Small 8x10 test painting, Acrylic

Detailed sketch of merry-go-round lion


Blocking in shapes on 18x24 canvas

Adding in some blues

Final Lion and Lamb painting, Acrylic 18x24

Mockup of how the "Lion and Lamb" might look framed in the actual space.

No comments:

Post a Comment